What is AWS MAP? / Advantages of the Migration Acceleration Program
The AWS Migration Acceleration Program (MAP) is designed to assist enterprises in migrating their workloads and applications to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud platform. It is aimed at helping organizations achieve a successful and expedited migration process while minimizing risks and maximizing the benefits of AWS. Do you want to know more? Read on!
What Is Cloud Migration, and How Does AWS Map Work?
Firstly, it is essential to know what cloud migration actually is. It refers to the process of moving an organization’s applications, data, and IT infrastructure from on-premises environments or other cloud providers to the cloud. This further includes transitioning workloads and resources from local servers or data centers to a cloud computing platform, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
AWS MAP is a solution that provides a framework, resources, and technical expertise, to support customers throughout this migration journey and enable them to move to AWS quickly. The program offers a range of services, including:
- Migration Readiness Assessment – AWS experts evaluate an organization’s current IT environment, infrastructure, and applications to assess their readiness for migration to AWS. They identify capability gaps and provide recommendations and guidance on optimizing the migration process.
- Migration Planning – AWS MAP program assists in developing a comprehensive migration plan tailored to an organization’s specific needs. This includes defining migration goals, establishing a timeline, selecting the appropriate migration tools and services, and outlining the necessary steps for a successful migration.
- Migration Execution – MAP provides technical guidance, best practices, and hands-on support during the migration process. This may involve utilizing AWS migration tools, such as AWS Server Migration Service (SMS), AWS Database Migration Service (DMS), or AWS Snowball, depending on the nature of the migrated workload.
- Post-Migration Optimization – after the migration is complete, the Migration Acceleration Program helps optimize the migrated workloads to ensure they are running efficiently on the AWS platform. This may involve implementing AWS cost optimization strategies, leveraging native AWS services, or exploring options for performance improvement.
- Training and Knowledge Transfer – AWS MAP also offers training resources and workshops to educate organizations on AWS services, migration best practices, and operating workloads in the AWS cloud. This helps build internal capabilities and expertise within the organization.
Additionally, it’s worth mentioning that AWS may offer financial incentives or credits to help offset migration costs in specific cases.
What Are the Benefits of Cloud Migration?
As a person responsible for IT infrastructure, you may be wondering about the potential benefits of cloud migration. You must know that they will depend primarily on the specifics and needs of your company.
One of the most important advantages of such a solution is scalability. Cloud platforms like AWS offer virtually unlimited scalability, allowing organizations to easily scale their resources up and down based on demand. This flexibility enables businesses to handle peak loads, accommodate growth, and optimize resource allocation without the need for upfront investments in hardware or infrastructure.
Furthermore, migrating to the cloud can often result in cost savings compared to traditional on-premises infrastructure. With the cloud, organizations can avoid upfront capital expenditures and instead pay for resources on a pay-as-you-go basis, helping to streamline costs. Additionally, cloud providers manage the infrastructure, reducing the need for dedicated IT staff and associated maintenance costs.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that a proper cloud migration strategy enables faster provisioning and deployment of resources and accelerates time-to-market for applications or services. Cloud platforms offer a wide array of pre-built services, APIs, alongside development tools that streamline application development and deployment processes, fostering agility and innovation within organizations.
When planning a cloud migration, also remember such advantages as:
- Global reach and accessibility
- Resilience and disaster recovery
- Security and compliance
- Innovation and advanced technologies.
Potential Cloud Migration Risks and How to Avoid Them with the Map Program (AWS)
Cloud migration strategies come with their own set of potential risks. While the AWS MAP doesn’t specifically address these risks, it provides a framework and resources to mitigate common challenges. Here are some examples:
- Data security and compliance – moving data to the cloud raises concerns about its safety. To mitigate this risk, the Amazon cloud migration tool helps organizations understand AWS security measures and compliance certifications. It offers a range of services, such as encryption, access controls, and monitoring, to protect data.
- Downtime and service disruption – AWS cloud migration program provides expertise to plan and execute migrations with minimal disruption. It helps organizations develop strategies that involve testing, staging environments, and phased migrations to reduce the impact on services and users.
- Application compatibility and performance – to avoid compatibility issues, the AWS migration tool assists in conducting readiness assessment. It identifies any challenges early on and offers guidance on selecting the appropriate AWS cloud migration services to ensure applications function optimally in the new environment.
- Data transfer and bandwidth – transferring large amounts of data to the cloud can be time-consuming and bandwidth-intensive. The AWS cloud migration assistant helps organizations strategize data transfer approaches, such as using AWS Snowball or AWS DataSync. It also provides guidance on network architecture and bandwidth requirements to minimize transfer-related risks.
- Cost optimization – without proper planning, cloud costs can spiral out of control. The Migration Acceleration Program (AWS) helps organizations understand pricing models and cost allocation strategies. It also provides recommendations to optimize resource usage, select the right instance types, and leverage cost-saving features like AWS Spot Instances.
How to Get Started With the AWS Migration Acceleration Program
The cloud migration process can be quite a challenge for companies. For this reason, it is worth using the help of an experienced partner specializing in digital transformation. They will help you smoothly go through the process. In general, MAP can be divided into three major stages:
But from our experience, you should focus on seven smaller stages that will help you organize this process in your company effectively:
1. Assess Your Migration Goals
Determine your organization’s objectives and identify the workloads or applications you plan to migrate to AWS. Understand the specific business drivers behind your decision and define your desired outcomes. Make sure that your technology partner understands your perspective.
2. Review the AWS MAP Program
Familiarize yourself with the offerings and benefits of the cloud migration tool. Visit the AWS website or reach out to a representative to gather information about the program’s resources, services, and eligibility criteria. At this stage, the assistance of your digital transformation partner (*ahem 😉*) can be priceless.. We recommend considering the following services and tools:
- AWS Migration Readiness Assessment: a process to analyze your readiness to migrate to the cloud, define your strengths and weaknesses, and then build an action plan to address identified gaps.
- AWS Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF): a set of guidelines to help you get a holistic view of your organization’s transformation needed for successful cloud migration.
- AWS Migration Evaluator: a tool to gather information about your environment and its utilization to then estimate the cost of keeping the resources you need in the AWS cloud.
3. Engage with Amazon Web Services
Contact AWS to express your interest in the MAP program and request assistance. You can reach out through the AWS website, contact AWS sales representatives, or engage with AWS Support to inquire about participation in the program. Your technology partner can mediate in this process.
4. Carry Out a Migration Readiness Assessment
Work with AWS experts or your partner, who will assess your current IT environment, infrastructure, and applications. This assessment will help identify any gaps, challenges, or potential risks related to your migration. It will also provide recommendations and guidance on how to optimize the chosen strategy.
Our support in this area includes helping eliminate gaps in your organization’s cloud readiness, both in terms of human aspects (such as training employees), updating IT processes, and technical aspects. AWS customers often use the following tools in this phase:
- AWS Application Discovery Service: a tool that allows you to collect detailed data about your environment, including running processes and network communications.
- AWS Migration Hub. A service that automates application migration planning and tracking across multiple AWS tools and AWS Technology Partners, allowing you to choose the migration tools best suited to your needs.
5. Plan Your Migration
Collaborate with your technology partner to create a comprehensive migration plan tailored to your organization’s specific needs. This plan should include a timeline, milestones, resource allocation, and selection of appropriate migration tools and services.
6. Execute Your Migration
With the assistance of the AWS MAP program, execute your migration plan. Leverage the guidance, best practices, and technical expertise provided by the program to ensure a smooth migration process. AWS offers various tools and services that can aid in execution.
7. Optimize and Fine-Tune
Once your migration is complete, work with your digital transformation partner to optimize and fine-tune your migrated workloads on the AWS platform. This involves leveraging cloud cost optimization strategies, exploring performance improvement opportunities, and ensuring your workloads are running efficiently.
From our experience, many companies see migration as an opportunity to modernize their applications that use older technologies. Here are some proven ways to do it:
- Automate infrastructure (elasticity, containers, AI/ML).
- Implement agile practices (DevOps, test automation, CI/CD, monitoring).
- Architecture patterns native to the cloud (stateless, microservices, serverless, data lakes).
- Upgrading servers using Windows operating system, upgrading databases and moving to product-based operating models.
These methods increase innovation, flexibility, fault tolerance and performance, accelerating the achievement of planned business results.
The AWS Migration Acceleration Program (MAP) is designed to expedite and simplify the migration of workloads and applications to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud platform. It offers a range of services, including readiness assessment, migration planning, execution support, post-migration optimization, and training to ensure a successful transition to AWS.
For a smooth and successful migration, organizations can benefit from the expertise and guidance of an experienced technology partner, ensuring the solutions used align with their unique requirements.
In conclusion, with AWS MAP, businesses can confidently navigate their cloud migration journey, enjoying the numerous advantages of scalability, cost savings, faster provisioning, resilience, security, and innovation. Partnering with a technology expert will further enhance the benefits of the program, making the transition to AWS a seamless and rewarding experience.